[meteorite-list] Did Life Arrive Before the Solar System EvenFormed?

From: Marc Fries <m.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 4 17:44:52 2005

Howdy

   I don't like panspermia; not even a little bit. It does nothing to
answer the question of where and how life started in the universe. All
it does is add a few million to billions of years of travel in the
cold, dry, radiation-hard vacuum of space to the journey. That, plus
you've got to crush/heat it in a violent, solar-system-ejecting imact
and then crush/heat it again on the recieving end. Even if you shorten
that journey to a trans-planetary scale you've still done nothing to
answer any questions about how it originated, and you're still dealing
with several physical processes that each alone have the power of
sterilization. And at the end of all of THAT, you've still dropped any
surviving (not bloody likely) microbes into a foreign environment that
they're not adapted to! You can hang "litho" or "nano" or freakin'
"nuclear-powered" or anything you want to onto the front of
"panspermia" and it's still useless as a theory. How annoying that it
still crops up from time to time...

Bah humbug,
MDF

--
Marc Fries
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Carnegie Institution of Washington
Geophysical Laboratory
5251 Broad Branch Rd. NW
Washington, DC 20015
PH:  202 478 7970
FAX: 202 478 8901
-----
I urge you to show your support to American servicemen and servicewomen
currently serving in harm's way by donating items they personally request
at:
http://www.anysoldier.com
(This is not an endorsement by the Geophysical Laboratory or the Carnegie
Institution.)