[meteorite-list] O'Keefe Follow-Up & GAO Office Reports

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 3 11:41:08 2005

Hello list,

I would like to thank those that responded on and off list about O'Keefe
articles. I have some or all, of those that were in the E. King estate,
which I figured would be most of them. Which apparently is not correct.

It appears that O'Keefe, while working with the US Geological Survey,
convinced those above him to let him do thin sections of hundreds if not
thousands of tektites, and most of his tektite articles come from this time
period....as opposed to his time working with NASA.

This does make me wonder what papers one could request from the Geological
Survey, that are meteorite related. If someone knows of such a list, please
forward it to me. They might not have such reports to offer but if deeply
desired one could invoke the freedom of information act and get copies of
any they still have on record. I dont think tektites are a concern of
national security.

I searched the United States General Accounting Office a few days ago for
papers of general meteorite interest and only found a report on the problems
with insurance in case of major catastophe, such as terrorist strike, which
it was more referring to, or a meteorite impact.

Granted, very few of their reports are made public, but those that are, have
been made of good quality and are usually fairly low priced. The GAO
compiles reports mostly at the request of senators and representitives it
seems. I have a 1995 GAO report on the Roswell non-incident, that states
the public could request a free copy. While I don't imagine they are free
anymore, I don't imagine they are expensive either.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
www.meteoritearticles.com