[meteorite-list] mysterite question

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 2 10:19:55 2005

On Mon, 02 May 2005 05:19:32 -0700, martinh_at_isu.edu wrote:

>Hi All
>
>Thanks for the link. I have read that article, and in fact, that was what led me to my current confusion. Seems like mysterite is an important discovery, but other than this article (and actually two others) I never see it in print. I guess that is not surprising given its wonderful name.
>
>Anyway, I hoped someone could shed more light on this mystery. Just a guess, but if said minerial/material/enrichment/condensate/brecciation called mysterite is what the article's authors suspect, then it could be one of the more important discoveries within meteorites in many years!

Well, if the material is cometary, as some researchers are speculating, I wouldn't be too suprised.
As many asteroid chuncks are out there and as many comet chunks are out there, I'd think that a
comet would have had to collide with an asteroid at least once in the past few billion years. Also,
I wonder about extrasolar material-- surely, in the lifetime of the solar system, we have
intersected through some bits of debris that formed around other stars. Couldn't some of it be
moving at a relative speed low enough for bits to survive impact?