[meteorite-list] Lunar origin of tektites

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Mar 26 11:00:26 2005

Hi, Marc, List,

    Tektites are glass but comparing them to obsidian is very misleading. If
tektites decayed in terrestrial environs like obsidian, then there would be a
small number of tektites found in various stages of decay, especially
bediasites and georgiaites which are the oldest tektites.
    I've never heard of a degraded bediasite or georgiaite being found. (We
should ask Norm Lehrman; he would know.) The reason I'm pretty sure that
they've never been found is that any collector of tektites who finds any
tektite with any unusual characteristic will talk about its unique
attributes... forever. You should hear me go on about why my half-button
australite is not the same as half of a button australite!
    While obsidian is a glass, it is formed at much lower temperatures. It
is a "wet" glass with high water content, lots of dissolved gasses, and
partially melted xenoclasts. Moreover, obsidian is often layered, which
contributes to rapid breakdown. Even so, there's plenty of 15-25 million
year old obsidian in pristine condition to be found.
    Tektites are the driest mineral known, with water content far lower than
nuclear bomb glass, the next driest item on the list. That tektites were
formed at extremely high temperatures is evidenced by the fact that the
Martha's Vineyard tektite, a rare and precious one and only outlyer of the
North American field, contains a zircon crystal that is partially melted. I
could go and look up the melting point of zircon because I can't remember it,
but it's very very high (3400 degrees?).
    Someone else mentioned in a post to the List that there are bubbles in
tektites, thinking that they had terrestrial atmosphere in them. Not so.
The bubbles in tektites either leaked (have atmosphere in them) or they
didn't, in which case they have a high class vacuum in the bubble with
pressures about equal to 40 km into space. The only recovered gas is
Argon40, presumably from potassium decay, although there is one report of
helium detected in an intact bubble. Helium? Captured solar wind?

Sterling Webb