[meteorite-list] An alternative origin of tektites

From: Graham Christensen <voltage_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Mar 26 06:00:00 2005

I read an article in the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada journal that
said that the Earth once had a ring of tektites or a system of rings around
it and when the supercontinent pangea formed, the earth's gravitational
field became lop-sided and the tektite material in the ring ended up in an
orbital resonance with pangea and the tektites formed a clump or "ring arc"
that was directly over pangea at perigee. When pangea broke up, the
resonance dissapeared and the ring arc's orbit began to decay The shape and
distribution of the australasian tektite strewnfield and the ablasion
characteristics of the tektites is consistent with a ring arc's orbit
decaying and eventually bringing the material crashing to earth at a low
angle.

Furthermore, the tektites associated with the chesapeake bay crater may
infact have been dragged down by the impactor's gravitational field as it
passed through or near the rings and this may be the case with other tektite
fields as well.

I have the article here on paper but I can't find it on the internet. I'm
not sure if this has been posted before but if anyone's interested I could
type up the text and E-mail it to the list.