[meteorite-list] OT: The Moon and the Sun - Where are they going tobe?

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Mar 23 14:52:20 2005

Hi, Dan,

    All these programs are excellent, and will be very usefully in figuring out the
optimum moment for a photo, but basically the configuration occurs EVERY full moon.

    The full moon always sets at sunrise. The new moon always sets at sunset
(which is why we can never see the moment of the new moon). The waxing half moon
is always at the zenith at local noon. The waning half moon is always at the
zenith at local midnight.
    The situation you describe (full moon just setting behind the peak while the
sun is just over the eastern horizon) is not a perfect opposition (180 degrees) but
your POV is below the peak (presumably) and the moon is above the geometric
horizon. So is the sun if there are mountains to the east (there are, aren't
they?). So this is likely to have been a day or too after the perfect full moon.
The moon looks full for a couple days either side...
    You need to go to the spot and measure the elevation above a level horizontal
line of the eastern horizon and the western "horizon" at the edge of the peak, and
use those programs to search for when THOSE positions are occupied by the moon and
sun.
    Of course, there are all these "little" factors that effect the exact
appearance. Declination will determine the angle at which the moon approaches the
horizon and so forth. Even if the next full moon and the next don't line up like
the last one, there should lots of opportunities for this shot and lots of other
nice shots (once a month).

Sterling Webb