[meteorite-list] Re: Ad-Announcing a New German Iron Meteorite!

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Mar 22 17:22:37 2005

Hi John & Dawn,

Unfortunately, Matt might be right with his bombshell comment. Being from
Germany, I and my partners received several iron wrongs that revealed a
peculiar (often martensitic) etch pattern. I always felt I finally had the
real thing, but then, after an analysis in the lab, all (so far) five
samples turned out to be terrestrial, with a Ni-content of below 0,3%. Alpha
iron (usually with a martensitic structure) often reveals an etch pattern,
and that doesn't seem to mean too much. Hover, I hope that you really have
the real thing here - so don't get me wrong. I just want to share my own
experience with "German irons". My best wrong is a mass of several tons (!),
looking very much like Mundrabilla II. Man, that would have been the find of
my life, but in the end, and after three independent test in three different
labs I had to accept that it turned out to be another (big) bummer...

A nickel test would be the right thing to do, and you won't need that much
to have it performed in a qualified lab. Hope it will test positive!

All the best,
Norbert
IMCA #7606

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

Hello everyone! We are extremely pleased to announce a
New German Iron meteorite! This is only the 12th iron
meteorite to ever be found in Germany and it is a
spectacular, sculpted specimen. We are leaving it in
an 'as found' condition for now with the exception of
windowing a small area and etching it. Surprisingly,
it has a brilliant micro-etch pattern somewhat
reminescent to our New NWA 2428! We are accepting
offers and you can check out this unique German iron
on our website.

Cheers

-John & Dawn
Arizona Skies Meteorites