[meteorite-list] Crater maker

From: Graham Christensen <voltage_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:59 2005

I would think that larger meteorites would have a larger ratio of
crater:impactor size because they have a lower surface area to volume ratio
so they would impact with a higher final velocity. So to make a crater, I'm
sure you'd need an impactor much larger than 3 feet as the 10 to 1 ratio
would suggest, in fact a 3 foot impactor would most likely lose all of its
cosmic velocity and impact at terminal velocity. Isn't the Hoba meteorite
something like 9 feet long?

Graham

Graham Christensen
voltage_at_telus.net
http://www.geocities.com/aerolitehunter
msn messenger: majorvoltage_at_hotmail.com