[meteorite-list] Crater maker

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:59 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:39:09 -0800, Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_cox.net> wrote:

>I got this question (below) and wondered if anyone on the list
>has a knowledge based answer. I could only "guess" about the
>size of a basketball, but feel very much lacking in confidence
>in my guess.
> Anyone? Michael
>
>Can you tell me about how big of a meteorite it takes to make a Crater about
>thirty feet across?

There was a study done in the Sikhote Alin strewnfield where, for craters that had the original
impactor still in them, the size of the crater was compaired to the size of the impactor, and a
graph made. However, even though I know OF the study being done, I don't know where to find those
results. Maybe someone here has it.

Of course, even thouse results would only apply to an object hitting in the same ground
type/conditions.