[meteorite-list] NPA 02-18-1967 Snow has hamped search efforts... - Vilna Meteorite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:59 2005

Paper: The Lethbridge Herald
City: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Date: Saturday, February 18, 1967
Page: 2 (of 26)

Meteorite Fragment Found

     EDMONTON (CP) - Snow has hampered search efforts for fragments of a
meteorite which disintegrated in the atmosphere last Sunday about 115 miles
north of Edmonton.
     Search chairman Dr. L. A. Bayrock said today one fragment less than a
half-inch in diameter had been found Friday night. But a larger portion was
believed ledged in a quarter-section of brush near Spedden, Alta., where the
small fragment was found.
    Snow covered an area where a party of 20 was due to search today.
Particles would have been more easily located against the white background
of previous snows. Searchers are attempting to utilize an iron and nickel
content in most meteorite fragments by using magnets.

(end)

The Vilna meteorite fell February 5, 1967 in Alberta, Canada. One stone
found of only 144mg. Perhaps the first $1 million a gram meteorite if any
was available to collectors?

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.