[meteorite-list] NPA 02-06-1967 Fireball Flashes In Sky - Vilna Meteorite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:59 2005

Paper: The Lethbridge Herald
City: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Date: Monday, February 6, 1967
Page: 1 (of 20)

Fireball Flashes In Sky

     EDMONTON (CP) - A blue-green fireball flashed across northern Alberta
skies Sunday night, exploding in a shower of sparks - and reports from
startled witnesses.
     Telephones of the Queen Elizabeth Planetarium and the Edmonton Journal
were jammed. One woman called the fire department to report a crash at
industrial airport. Another thought the object had landed in her back yard.
     The ball, trailing an orange tail, was seen from Lethbridge to Cold
Lake about 7p.m.
     There were reports of a "thunder-like" sound near Smoky Lake, 100 miles
northwest of Edmonton. A pilot in the Cold Lake area, 100 miles beyond,
said, he was "nearly killed by the intense flash."
     Dr. L. A. Bayrock of the Alberta Research Council identified the object
as a meteorite.

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.