[meteorite-list] What are the latest Iron Falls?

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:55 2005

Indeed it was superb.
Yes with the irons especially the beginning collectors have a wrong
impression. They see the irons overrepresented in the web, at the dealers,
on ebay, even in books as there are the few large finds like Campo, Nantan,
Canyon, Gibeon, Henbury and so on, which due to the numbers of specimens
found and the availability are offered cheap, but they do forget, that iron
in general is a rare type.
Just a look in 2000 catalogue to the number of falls - finds I don't let
count now, as irons are more eye-catching than stony meteorites, which are
more difficultly distinguishable from terrestial stones, thus irons will be
found more often by chance (f.i. from all the finds, where people, who
believe in having found a meteorite, contact me, more than 90% are
iron-like, like slags, haematite ect) -
I find until 1999
940 stone falls,
but only 48 iron falls (and 12 stony irons).

A layman, who wishes to own a single object from space, will choose always
an iron, as a stone meteorite does look to him/her, well not very
intriguing, just like a "stone", but with an iron, one easily can see, that
it must be smth uncommon.
Plus second question is the price, as the mass irons are cheaper per gram,
than (non desert) chondrites, although they forget, that they would obtain a
specimen of quite the same dimensions for the money, as irons have a much
higher density.
Important would be from the didactic point of view, that they are tought,
that irons are actually an atypic class of meteorites,
regarding the number of falls (and not the find weights) as rare as the
HED-group!
Therefore I'm always astonished, if I see the dealers pricing irons of small
tkw or crw or of rare types so extremely cheap.
Obviously they calculate: well I see Odessa at 1$/g, my iron has a small
weight, but the same type, let's say 2$/g.
Funny, and not the worst error for the collector ;-)

Buckleboo!
Martin