[meteorite-list] Yummie, meteorites?

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:54 2005

Dear List, Bernd;
Is there any evidence that animals have licked meteorites for the
minerals in them? I know some humans that have tasted meteorite dust
for the novelty but am very curious if any signs of mostly herbivores
licking or consuming meteorites for the iron, other minerals exists?
In the area here where meteorites should be plentiful, there are none to
be found. Cretaceous sandstone's on the surface for hundreds of
thousands of years BUT where antelope, sheep spend quite a bit of time
in the winter months with not much to eat but sagebrush. I just wonder
if they would lick the ground as in salt/mineral licks (none here
locally) and go for the iron in the meteorites.
Any thoughts, besides I have cracked?
Curious,
Dave F.
mjwy