[meteorite-list] RE: RE: Polishing slices?

From: Christian Anger <christian.anger_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:54 2005

Disagreement !

I also lay the sanding papers on a flat glass which has the same effect of
producing a flat surface on the sample. I do not have rounded edges on my
specimens.
Also it is wrong to move the face of the probe in circles.
You have to describe an "8" when moving the sample across the grains or
paper - that's the real polishing technique.

I also do NOT produce scratches. You have to take care not to withdraw
grinding material from the coarser grinding papers to the next lower
grinding grain size paper. Keep your sanding papers clean. Store every
sanding paper extra, be careful and make the job with patience and love.

I do not have the difficulties what Marcin is talking about.
And diamond powders or pastes are expensive too.

The technique I use only takes time. I own years of experience in polishing
by using sanding paper and I also use it DRY - without any fluid (water,
alcohol etc...) - I think nobody expected this - but that's my experience
and it works - works very well and I have best results - without any
scratches. You just have to learn it. Experience is all.

It is a lot of work, for sure, but this belongs to curating a collection
too, for me, at least.

Cheers and good night,

Christian

IMCA #2673