[meteorite-list] (Vaguely OT) Letter of Commendation

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:54 2005

Dear Kathy, All;
Through out over 900 auctions in the past year and a half, and nearly
90% mailed USPS, I will tell you that as a buyer, if you do not require
your seller to offer insurance and delivery confirmation, YOU are
asking for trouble.
If you are a seller and do not require your buyers to buy insurance, YOU
are asking for troubles too.
I can not see why anyone would transact good money and then pay good
money to ship, and not get all the insurance and delivery confirmation
that they can get. One would not purchase an automobile and not carry
insurance on it to provide for a loss or damage.
I see those that are shall we say "tight with their money" but insurance
and delivery confirmation are not the place to skimp or cut corners. I
have also found that there is a percentage of dishonest individuals that
seem to relish the lost article thing, or have no control over their
deliveries so, they scream "my item didn't arrive" and low and behold,
the delivery confirmation number provides the exact time and date of
delivery to the whiner. The delivery confirmation costs 45 or 55 cents,
if the buyer cannot afford that then I just do not sell to them. Same
with insurance, if one wants something bad enough to pay good hard
earned money for the item, then it is worth the $1.30 or $2.20 or $3.20
to insure against loss. If you have a meteorite that is worth more than
$100, I recommend that it be sent REGISTERED MAIL so there is a
signature track each time a postal employee passes it along, and it also
is under lock and key the entire journey.
Those that are too cheap to protect themselves deserve to get ripped off
in my not so humble opinion.
Sorry for the soap box....just the facts jack. One in fifty of my
transactions requires that I go look up a tracking number when someting
is late, or lost, or distroyed by the postal system.
Dave F.
mjwy
 From a sunny, calm, 43 degrees in SW Wy.