[meteorite-list] let me get this strait....

From: Meteoryt.net <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:53 2005

> Hi List,
> If a meteorite is getting classified and it is a breccia, and a thin
> section is one 1in x 1in, how in the heck can it get classified correctly?
> Is that why NWA 869 is classified as so many things? Does one lab look at
> one part, then another lab look at the other part sometime down the road?
> Thanks, Tom
> peregrineflier <><

Hi
First You can make few thin section for lab or choose most representative
1x1" slice for one thin section.

Second for example "NWA869 family" dont have soo many huge breccias for make
from them thin section. Ofcourse if You want cheated classifiction, You will
find clean L4 part and this one You can send to lab. For some reasons this
will be cheat, for others not, becouse THIS L4 fragment is part of whole
meteorite. But this will be not representative material.

I think that for brecciated meteorites must be submited more than 1 thin
section to minimize possibility of wrong classification.

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195