[meteorite-list] News on NWA

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:53 2005

You don't understand what I'm saying. Maybe others also don't fully
understand the system either. Let me explain the way it is supposed to work.

1) A new meteorite is characterized in the laboratory
2) The information is submitted to the Nomenclature Committee, usually to
one of the Associate Editors (AEs), but sometimes directly to the Editor.
3) The AE acknowledges receipt of the information and tells you that all is
in order.
4) The AE transfers the information to the Editor of the Bulletin.
5) The Editor assembles information on all meteorites sent in by the AEs
and sends it to the entire NomCom for a vote.
6) The Editor receives the votes and decides if each meteorite has been
approved. The appropriate AE is informed of the decision.
7) The AE tells you either (a) the name is approved or (b) the name did not
pass.
8) For approved meteorites, the text or information you submitted is
eventually edited for publication. You may get an advance copy of this
text, but sometimes not. A provisional Bulletin may appear on the
web. All text at this stage is subject to further revision.
9) The Bulletin is submitted to MAPS for publication. At this point, all
entries are final and can be quoted directly, without qualification.

Your meteorites are at step (4). They have not been approved OR sent out
for a vote. The AE has simply accepted your submission and sent it to the
Editor. Therefore, you cannot say that the text you quote is approved by
the NomCom, nor can you say it will appear in the Bulletin. That depends
on passing step (7). All you can say is that your text has been submitted
to the Bulletin.

Jeff