[meteorite-list] NPA 02-18-1930 Bits Looked Like Falling Planes, Paragould Meteorite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:52 2005

Paper: The Port Arthur News
City: Port Arthur, Texas
Date: Tuesday, February 18, 1930
Page: 9 (of 12)

METEOR SHOWER
Bits Looked Like Falling Planes

     ST. LOUIS, Feb. 18 (AP) - The possibility of a meteor shower over three
states was indicated today when meteors were reported to have fallen at St.
Louis and near Poplar Bluff, Mo., and unverified reports were received of
airplanes crashing in flames near Vandalia, Ill., Mexico, Mo., and
Burlingame, Kas.
     Two detectives reported seeing a brilliant meteor fall in the vicinity
of Penrose park here.
     Rumors were circulated at Vandalia, Ills., Mexico, Mo., and Burlingame,
Kas. that airplanes had fallen in flames within sight of these towns.
Searching parties were unable to substantiate the reports.
     G. O. James, professor of astronomy at Washington university , St.
Louis said a very large meteor might be seen a considerable area, while the
simultaneous fall of meteors over an area extending from southern Illinois
to eastern Kansas would be "unusual".

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.