[meteorite-list] NPA 02-17-1930 Burning Plane Story...Paragould Meteorite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 13:24:52 2005

Paper: Decatur Daily Review
City: Decatur, Illinois
Date: Monday, February 17, 1930
Page: 1 (of 14)

Burning Plane Story Unverified

Vandalia Concludes Meteor Responsible for Report

     St. Louis, Feb 17 - (A.P.) - The possibility of a meteor shower over
three states was indicated today when meteors were reported to have fallen
at St. Louis and near Poplar Bluff, Mo., and unverified reports were
received of airplanes crashing in flames near Vandalia, Ill., Mexico, Mo.,
and Burlingame, Kan.
     Twp detectives reported seeing a brilliant meteor fall in the vicinity
of Penrose Park here at 4:30 a.m. A peculiar atmospheric condition was
reported by many persons within a fifty-mile radius of Poplar Bluff about 4
a.m. and it was generally supposed the condition was caused by a falling
meteor.
     Rumors were circulated at Vandalia that an airplane had fallen in
flames about 5 a.m. Searching parties failed to find any trace of a plane
and it was the belief of some that a falling meteor had led to the report.
     No verification could be found for a rumor that a plane had crashed in
flames near Mexico. Likewise searching parties were unable to substantiate
a report that an airplane had fallen in flames three miles northeast of
Burlingame.
     Inquiry led inquirers to Vera and Ramey but investigation there failed
to reveal the presence of a burned plane, or anyone who had seen one.

(end)

This article refers to the Paragould meteorite fall. The Paragould
meteorite fell February 17, 1930 at 4:08 in the morning and landed near
Paragould in Greene County, Arkansas. Two stones were recovered with the
total weight of 408 kg. If I remember witness reports correctly, a third
stone was witnessed falling.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.