[meteorite-list] Some Images of the Randsburg California Iron

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jun 28 03:25:14 2005

Matteo,

What an insult! The only thing this meteorite has in common with a Campo is
that it is a coarse octahedrite iron meteorite, a very well represented type
of iron. I was more concerned that it might be a transported Canyon Diablo
at first but it looks completely different with a much courser pattern, even
of greater bandwidth than that of a Campo. The good people who offered this
meteorite have a perfect reputation, are not even known for selling
meteorites and their story is verifiable. Just because some meteorite
dealers we all know are willing to pull a bait-and-switch and fake
provenance doesn't mean honest folks will. On top of that, not a single
flake of iron shale fell off of this meteorite even after being transported
half way across the US. The weathering is more like that of a dry desert
than that of a swampy Campo field find.

If in doubt, check it out!

Regards,

Adam Hupe