[meteorite-list] Earth Trojan asteroids

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jun 25 05:36:44 2005

Sterling:
>Always a big fan of the Iliad, even BEFORE it was a movie with
>Brad Pitt, I can't recall the names of 1783 Trojan characters in the Iliad!

Hola Sterling, for one thing, they cheat, because the L4 are the Greeks and
the L5 are the Trojans, with a few glaring "errors" (Hektor is L4). So they
should really be called the Greco-Ilium asteroids!

Here;s where they seem to be at, lots of names and many more are only
numbers and even more are just coded for year for the time being (looks like twpo
more are already there = 1785 now):

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/lists/JupiterTrojans.html

The last one listed there with a name was (85030) Admetos. But it was
discovered in 1960.

>From the Iliad, a homage to all the fleets great and small and lots of
people...In the Book of Ships Fleets (Book II) Admetos is mentioned as king and
father of a princely commander of a small fleet of 11 ships from Pherai (who
fought with the Greeks) (L4, checks ok):
"And of them that dwelt in Pherai by the Boibeian mere, in Boibe and
Glaphyre and stablished Iolkos, of them, even eleven ships, Admetos' dear son was
leader, Eumelos whom Alkestis, fair among women, bare to Admetos, she that was
most beauteous to look upon of the daughters of Pelias."
This was really an epic war ... with literally hundreds of names - maybe
enough for the moment with a little liberal research (i.e., you know one ally,
of the dozens, just do a little research and more names mentioned or not in
the Illiad will be recorded somewhere...Achilles alone commanded 50 ships, and
he was just one of about 50 groups...each with a fierce pride)

Here's one from 1998: (21602) Ialmenus, son of mighty Ares' galavanting who
layed with the stately maiden Astyoche, again from the Book II of Ships:

"And they that dwelt in Aspledon and Orchomenos of the Minyai were led of
Askalaphos and Ialmenus, sons of Ares, whom Astyoche conceived of the mighty
god in the palace of Aktor son of Azeus, having entered her upper chamber, a
stately maiden; for mighty Ares lay with her privily. And with them sailed
thirty hollow ships."

But as you can see from the list, there can't be more than about 200 named
so far...

Saludos, Doug

Sterling W. wrote:

Always a big fan of the Iliad, even BEFORE it was a movie with Brad Pitt, I
can't recall the names of 1783 Trojan characters in the Iliad!

In fact, I count only: Hector, Priam, Hecuba, Paris (also known as
?Alexander?), Helen (of course, she's a Trojan now...), Aeneas, Andromache,
Astyanax, Polydamas, Glaucus, Agenor, Dolon, Pandarus, Antenor, Sarpedon,
Chryseis, Briseis, and Chryses. Not a cast of thousands...

Where do folks come up another 1765 Trojan names? Third soldier from the
left in the last row in the Battle in Book Ten? Just make'em up? Greekify
your
children's names? Just leave it to some gentlemen in Paris at IAU to do it?
Give'em numbers? Buy one of those "5000 Names for Your Child" books,
written in
Greek? What?!