[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorites, Ice and Antartica

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 20 21:26:09 2005

Darren posted:

> In that case, you really need to pick Meteorite Hunter if you haven't
> already.
>
> http://www.fetchbook.info/compare.do?search=0071372245

Dear Darren:

Not only have I read Roy Gallant's excellent book, I'm in it : )
Check out the chapter on the Pogigai Crater, Siberia expedition 1999. I
also reviewed the book for the August, 2002 issue of "Meteorite"
magazine.

During the expedition, Roy made a documentary film called, "Diamonds,
Mosquitos, and a Very Big Crater" (or something like that) which I
believe was shown on PBS in the American northeast. I have a VHS copy,
so if you come visit, we'll have a screening. It's great fun, even with
the walnut-sized mosquitos buzzing around us all the time.

Thanks for the recommendation, though. Roy is one of my heroes and as
fine a gentleman adventurer as I expect to meet in this lifetime.
"Meteorite Hunter" is definitely in my All-Time Top Five meteorite
books (and not just because I'm in it, silly).

List members who order that, along with Cassidy's "Meteorites, Ice and
Antarctica," will not want to leave their armchairs for days!

The Antarctic is sounding pretty good at the moment, with temperatures
in Tucson at 106+ degrees this week.

Regards to all,

Geoff N.