[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorites, Ice and Antartica

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 20 20:37:41 2005

Walter posted:

> Has anyone read "Meteorites, Ice and Antartica:
> A Personal Account" by William Cassidy?
> Any personal reviews on this book?

Dear Walter, Darren, and List:

I was very eager to get my hands on this book, and picked up a copy as
soon as it was released. It's a welcome addition to my library, though
I had hoped it would contain more of a narrative of Mr. Cassidy's
personal experiences in Antarctica.

I found the first few chapters, which deal primarily with the founding
of the ANSMET program, the early discoveries in Antarctica, and other
exciting adventures, to be extremely interesting. Much of the latter
half of the book deals with the minutiae of classification, and
discussions of lunar and martian meteorites and other scientific issues
(as described by Darren), and *I know* that kind of thing is of great
interest to many of you genius-type brainiacs : )

Personally, I prefer the "So there we were 1,000 miles from base camp
with no food or fuel . . ." kind of tale, but anyone who's read my
stuff probably already knows that : )

A good read however you cut it, and well worth picking up, especially
-- again, as Darren notes -- since you can easily locate bargain-priced
copies. Some nice photos too.

Regards,

Geoff N.