[meteorite-list] Meteorites on Lubbock TV

From: McCartney Taylor <mccartney_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jun 18 19:55:30 2005

June 6 on Fox34 TV in Lubbock had a news clip on meteorites.
Showed some thin, lanky guy swinging a metal detector. That guy
happens to be me.

Fox34 picked up my name from my meteorite education campaign
I'm doing in West Texas. The assistant news director said they're
having a 'slow news week' and if I could come out for an interview.

Free press? - Hell yes! It was yet, another 7 hour drive to Lubbock,
at one point the entire highway pulled over and we were pummelled
with golfball size hail. (It was then I realized my trusty little
Mercedes has extra thick steel body, unlike the nearby new Volvo
that had awesome thumbprints in it that would may you cry)

Hail in Texas in June is a bad bad BAD thing. Usually, a tornado is
nearby. So I was thinking about jumping out of the car and running
for a nearby ditch, but I decided from the look of the storm that it
was behind me so I outran it to the North.

Fox34 filmed us out in Plainview Texas with me and my friend John
who found a 2 kg Plainview. Then, the news day was going so slow
they had me hang out until the 4pm news to do a live interview
about meteorites and farmers. It was repeated at the 9pm news
along with the new Car and Truck dealerships that all got severe hail
damage. It was worse west of Lubbock where they BASEBALL
sized hail. Ekkk! This is a reminder to you all that meteorite hunting
has several dangers.

I don't have a good copy of the newscast yet. But when I do, I'll post
a link to it. I got several leads to some great meteorwrongs, and a
few that sound promising. Including a large meteorite near Kress.
I'll keep you posted.

Oh, BTW. I bumped into Nininger's legacy out there. John's Dad
used to have a fellow come out every summer for years asking
about 'odd rocks plowed up'. His name was "H H" Something and
he wore "spectacles"

Good hunting!
-- McCartneyTaylor,IMCA # 2760