[meteorite-list] What is It?

From: ken newton <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 15 22:55:50 2005

Larry, Dave and List,
Greg Baumgartner (4263greg) has an ebay history of selling rocks as
meteorites. He sold his 'Meteorite Eartharight Stones' on ebay back in
March. You may remember, he described the stones as meteoritic and
terrestrial. He then progressed to the hard-core fakes: "Meteorites
Stony Iron Pallasite Californian#1" Series and the " Stoney iron
meteorite, Metal Olivine Mix " Series. These auctions prompted no
little discussion.

The price on his current item (a slice - no weight given) has dropped
from $100,000 to $10,000. Is it real? Mr. Baumgartner says it is, but
that is what he said about all his other auctions. If it is real, it is
a shame that it came to be in the possession of a dishonest seller who
lacks the foresight to have it properly tested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6515748314
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6518822641
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6518820774
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6509179345