[meteorite-list] AD, OT Desert eucrite collection.

From: joseph_town_at_att.net <joseph_town_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 15 18:36:22 2005

One Google says:

 "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" is attributed to Sigmund Freud. But there is no evidence that he actually said it. It means that sometimes a cigar is what it is and not a phallic symbol -- an elongated object representing a penis. "This line is beloved by showboat psychology professors who imitate Groucho Marx while telling students that Freud said that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." From “Nice Guys Finish Seventh: False Phrases, Spurious Sayings, and Familiar Misquotations” by Ralph Keyes (HarperPerennial, 1993).

: : : : (They probably imitate Groucho because he was another cigar smoker. The cigar story associated with him is that a woman explained her many children by saying, "I love my husband." And Groucho responded, "I love my cigar but I take it out once in a while." But I don't think Groucho actually said that.)

: : : : So, sometimes a wedding card is just a card. And not representative of something else.

: : : Victor Herbert, or his librettist, said (in one of Herbert's operettas), "A woman is just a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke." (I'm just the messenger.) SS

: : So, did Victor Herbert get "A woman is just a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke." from Kipling or did Kipling get it from Herbert?

: Monica Lewinsky would have said 'do you want the before cigar or the after cigar?'

Bill

From: "Tom Knudson" <peregrineflier_at_npgcable.com>