AW: [meteorite-list] Ensisheim

From: Jörn Koblitz <koblitz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 15 09:58:38 2005

Dear Vincent,

> Then, I put it in a Tupperware full with isopropilic alcohol...

This was certainly the wrong way, because:

alcohol (ethanol as well as isopropanol) is quite hygroscopic, i.e. it will absorb a lot of water. Even if you seal the plastic bag, it does not work as humidity will diffuse through the wall. At the end, you have worsen it as it doesn't make a big difference whether you put it in pure water or in a mixture of water and alcohol.

Alcohol is only good for pulling off liquid water from a specimen after it has been dipped in water. Even then, the specimen has to be dried in an oven to get the remaining humidity off.

My advice: always store known rusters under desiccant. Best is to use silica geel with color indicator (cobalt) so you see when its time to change it. If the storage box isn't really hermetic (.e.g plastic boxes), you have to change and re-generate the desiccant quite often.

Cheers,
J?rn