[meteorite-list] NWA 869 continued....

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 13 20:28:23 2005

Hello again list,

Doug wrote, after quoting me... "Colleagues, some of you could really give
the scientists a run for their money.."

I think that is a little hard, as I have just given you my observations. I
would rather tell you what I have observed, rather then repeat what others
have said. Now if you have observations on the meteorite, I would rather
hear them then observations on my observations.

Bernd noted on his specimen, "This incorporated (xenolithic?) fragment has
crisp, sharply delineated chondrules almost "wall to wall" with hardly any
matrix material between the chondrules."

As I wrote, I agree with Rubin, which my understanding would mean it is a
"L5 Fractual Breccia, S3, W1 Fa 24.2."

Some pieces do have what appear to be very nice chondrules, however as I
noted I have not seen this in a thin section. Classification is more what
it looks like in a thin section, rather a hand specimen from my
understanding. Now, many other list members have made or bought NWA 869
thin sections, I bet we have a few hundred between us. Perhaps someone
could post a few photos of thin sections with the reported L3.8 host. I
can't do such from my NWA 869 thin sections, which is what I was saying.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com