[meteorite-list] Newby from Belgium

From: DALMASSO Thomas <thomas.dalmasso_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jun 7 07:41:57 2005

Dear all,

I have just joined this list a few days ago, and have been reading the e-mails.

I have no knowledge whatsoever about meteorites, but I like the idea of seeing rocks from space ;-) In fact, my interest in metorites came when I was looking for info on the net on fossiles I found over 3 years ago, and landed by chance on page dealing about meteorite. I then started to read this, and look at pictures, and so on.

For info, I am French, 32 years old, and I live in Belgium, in Bruges for those who know.

I have several questions for you. If it has been answered thousand times, please excuse me and just redirect me to some archives:

1- Is there any members here from Belgium or France?
2- Where could I found info about registered sighting of meteors in Belgium, France? I in fact saw a very nice meteor in Belgium some 3 years ago. I saw very well the ball, and some sort of orangish flames on the back that then turned green. I did not know where to report it for scientists, and as I couldn't read not speak Flemish/Dutch, I did not know if it has been discussed on the net or newspapers.
3- Where could I show rocks in Belgium, North of France, or Netherlands so that I could be told if they are meteorites or simple rocks? I think that I would be a kind of ashamed to go to a lab of scientists showing them rocks that may be identified by knowledgeable people as pure and simple rock in a fraction of a secon... I in fact did found some rusty rocks with some kind of "bubbles" on them, but they are not responding to the magnet of my fridge ;-))), and I cannot cut them myself...

Sorry for the long e-mail, and thanks for the info you'll be willing to pass on to me.

Best Regards,

Thom, Bruges, Belgium.