[meteorite-list] Rob Wesel's NWA 2653 - cool!

From: Bob King <lakewind_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 2 09:52:00 2005

Hello all,
After the discussion on the list regarding the classification of NWA 2653
(primitive ungrouped achondrite) I thought I'd just share my
observations of a small slice I purchased from Rob. The polish is so
mirror perfect that under the scope at 10x and 30x I was able to look
'deep' into the matrix of glass-like, interlocked pale orange and red
crystals. Almost like looking through very transparent water into the
deeps. The crystalline appearance reminded me right away of a ureilite.
Amazing networks of narrow black veins (shock?) threaded through
some of the crystal fields and small, metal inclusions were scattered
throughout. No chondrules or remnants were seen. This was one
fascinating rock that made for an evening's microscopic adventure. A
CD of 48 high quality images was included. Looking at the photos was
like walking through a gallery of modern art. Very nice!
Bob