[meteorite-list] WD-40

From: mafer_at_imagineopals.com <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 2 09:06:03 2005

Greetings List

For the longest time now, I have heard that WD-40 contains water and must
not be used on meteorites.

Well, I got an email about its uses and decided to follow up since its
susposed to stand for "water displacement - 40th formula". Pretty much,
that was the chemist's intentions too!

So, upon aquiring a MSDS for the aerosol, I see that there is indeed, no
water in it. There is a hydrotreated heavy mineral oil, and this is what
may be throwing people off. Hydrotreated oils (according to my chemist here
at the refinery) means that an oil is treated with hydrogen to remove
sulfurs. And it does not involve water.

So my question to all those that say it does have water in it, how does
water displace water?

I believe WD-40 is a possible safe treatment from what I can find out for
meteorites.

Any comments?

Mark Ferguson