[meteorite-list] WHAT IS A PLANET?

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 31 19:33:02 2005

Hi Sterling, Martin and all,

Although some might considered off topic (what is a planet) it is on
topic as we don't know where some of the unique meteorites in our
collections come from or any new type that may be discovered. It also
fits the description in the Meteoritical Society's front page.

I had the privilege of talking to Clyde Tombaugh (discover of Pluto) at
an astronomical league national convention. He joined us one of the
clear observing nights. Although I did a bit of observing it seem more
important to me to talk to Clyde. Many of the other amateurs seem more
enthusiastic about observing rather than tapping the knowledge from Clyde.

I had a nice half an hour talk with him. One of the questions that have
come up in this thread is how we could have missed such an object. Clyde
mentioned searching from -50 degrees south to +50 degrees north, however
there were spots missing from this search due the W.W.II. The search had
to be discontinued for more important reasons. Some areas were missing
down to 20 degree north. No doubt objects could have been in the missed
areas but Clyde seem to think we had covered our bases pretty good. Not
to say it wouldn't be impossible for another discovery. Also those doing
the work on the blink comparitors, could have always missed a spot when
doing the search for other objects. Clyde mentioned problems with Pluto,
size, makeup and other interesting items. So they were more than aware.

The discovery of Pluto created a big stir back then and there was a big
media frenzy. The Lowell staff kept things quiet as long as they could
because they were needing to prepare. Also they wanted to pick out a
name before others in the astronomical community had a chance to ruin
this for them. Back then (and probably still today) others were eager to
try to steal the spot light of such an important event and take over.
Try to take away from those who had done the work and much work had been
done.

Those wanting to demote Pluto to a lesser object would probably be cast
out of society by those folks. I personally don't like changing such
significant historical discoveries, rewriting history. Let Pluto stay
even if it is a lesser object. I know that Clyde later on expressed this
and was somewhat hurt by others trying to demote the planet while he was
still living.

I agree until we explore further out in our solar system (and we need
to) examine what lies out in the great beyond, we will continue to
debate issues that can only be answered by exploration. (what happened
to the Pluto express??) I agree with Francis Graham it would be nice to
find a meteorite from out in those regions even though the probability
is not good. One thing for sure is until we know more about the make up
of those objects, it will be hard to know one way or the other if we do
indeed have one.

The naming of a planet is left to the astronomical community and they
tend to name after the Greek gods. Suggesting and speculating names on
this list is simply a waste of time although fun.

--AL Mitterling