[meteorite-list] Tom's NWA 2905 and NWA 2906

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jul 29 14:44:45 2005

Hello Tom and List,

I would like to congratulate Tom on having his NWA 2905 and NWA 2906
chondrites officially classified by Ted Bunch from NAU, who is presently
writing up the classifications for these two stones.

T.E. Bunch has classified such scientifically important NWA meteorites
as NWA 032 (LUN-B), NWA 770 (CH), NWA 771 (AURE), NWA 772 (CK3), etc.,
etc.

Ted told Tom that his NWA 2905 is an L4 and I had the pleasure of taking
several digital pics of its gorgeous, gray chondrules and the dark pockets
that may be carbonaceous xenoliths. Thanks Tom for the 4-gram slice.

Ted also said Tom's NWA 2906 is an L4 breccia *unpaired* with NWA 869.
T.E. Bunch in a private mail to Tom Knudson: "Your stone is not 869."

And Ted surely knows what he is saying after having "helped sort out
odd balls from 400 kg of NWA 869."

Tom was also kind enough to send me a 7.6-gram slice of NWA 2906 so I was
able to compare it to my NWA 869 pieces and to take two digital pictures
of a conspicuously gray, kidney-shaped, probably achondritic inclusion.

Never before have I seen something like that in any of my NWA 869 pieces
and with T.E. Bunch's expertise we can be sure NWA 2906 is different from
NWA 869!

If anyone is interested in the pics I took, Tom will surely be glad to share them!

Best wishes,

Bernd