[meteorite-list] Ad: Announcing a Gorgeous NEWACAPULCOITE-NWA2714 (prov.)!

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 28 18:26:08 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:31:57 -0700 (PDT), Arizona Skies Meteorites <johnbirdsell_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi Tom, Darren & Mark and good question. The answer,
>as far as we understand it, is that a 7.5kg stone was
>found sometime in 2003. It was either broken or fell
>apart into pieces which were then sold. Each person
>that then submits a sample from this stone for
>classification is assigned a unique NWA number. Ours
>is NWA 2714. So conceivably there could be 3 or 4
>different NWA numbers referring to different parts of
>the same stone. It is amost exactly analogous to the
>NWA 1069, NWA 1110, NWA 2373, etc set of numbers which
>refer to different stones from the same fall, with the
>exception that in the latter case the stones
>presumably broke apart before they hit the ground.

I can understand when you aren't aware or sure that a meteorite comes from a already described fall,
but it seemed that you described it as if you KNEW that it was another piece of the same meteorite.

I don't know how procedurally TPTB could or would go about doing it, but I wish that all the
duplicate NWA numbers could be weeded out so that each seperate fall would have one and only one
number and not a half dozen numbers for different pieces of it.