[meteorite-list] NASA grounds future shuttle flights

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 27 21:40:53 2005

Yes, but the foam insulation on the main tank is sprayed on, and I gather
that it was the loss of a piece of this foam that is causing the concern,
not the loss of tiles (although I guess one tile was lost). The shuttle can
generally survive reentry with some missing tiles; more serious is
mechanical damage from frozen foam colliding with the structure during
liftoff.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory