[meteorite-list] NPA 12-22-1946 Army-CIT Artificial Meteorites Test

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 27 12:55:40 2005

Paper: Nevada State Journal
City: Reno, Nevada
Date: Sunday, December 22, 1946
Page: 12

Attempt to Launch Meteorites Fails; Stronger Charges Set for Next Test

     LOS ANGELES, Dec. 21. (U.P.) - Science's first attempt to launch
man-made meteorites into the earth's upper atmosphere with a German V-2
rocket was classed as a failure today by Dr. James A. Van Allen, John
Hopkins University physicist, a key figure in the experiment.
     Arriving here after witnessing the firing of the rocket at White Sands
proving ground, N.M., Tuesday night, Dr. Van Allen said a time device in the
rocket's warhead had apparently failed and that none of the metal fragments
was actually shot out from the rocket.
     He said high-speed photographs taken at White Sands failed to detect
any evidence the meteorites had been launched.
     Dr. Van Allen discounted reports from outlying areas which told of
flashes observed bursting from the rocket. He said the flashes undoubtedly
were those from explosives used to rip off the warhead before the projectile
crashed to earth.
     "Next March or April we will try again," he said. "We may use a
stronger charge, stand-by timers or even remove radio-controlled detonation
equipment.
     "After all, the first attempt was strictly a gamble."

(end)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
http://www.meteoritearticles.com
http://www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com
http://www.imca.cc

http://stores.ebay.com/meteoritearticles

PDF copy of this article, and most I post (and about 1/2 of those on my
website), is available upon e-mail request.

The NPA in the subject line, stands for Newspaper Article. The old list
server allowed us a search feature the current does not, so I guess this is
more for quick reference and shortening the subject line now.