[meteorite-list] AW: N'Goureyma

From: info_at_niger-meteorite-recon.de <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jul 26 10:43:53 2005

Moni and others,

I guess Martin refers to the inclusions visible in cut sections. Joern Koblitz keeps a beautiful large slice, he might want to share a picture of his treasure?

The remarkable thing about these elongated inclusions is that they are all oriented towards a vertical axis of the mass. This feature lead E. Cohen (1901) to speculate about a possible complete melting of the mass during entry and a recristallization in the later stage of the passage.

As V. Buchwald stated, this is not case since the latter detected an intact heat affected alpha2 zone of one or two milimeters (as far as I remember, maybe someone wants to check this). See his Handbook of iron meteorites for a detailed description of the material.

The pock marked, somwhat perforated appearance of the mass does not stem from weathering. The mass was excavated and secured briefly after its fall. But due to the oriented flight of the shield shaped mass several burn throughs occured close to the rim, where the thickness was only a few centimeters.

cheers
Svend

www.niger-meteorite-recon.de

>Does it look very porous though?