[meteorite-list] troilite in stone meteorites

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Jul 23 12:14:14 2005

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:09:29 -0700 (PDT), "Steve Arnold, Chicago!!!" <steve_arnol60120_at_yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Just a big thanks to bernd and darren for their expertise on the troilite
>question.Many different meteorites with troilite in them.I do have a few
>of them. And speaking of one of them,nwa 1548,like darren said,I have a 23
>gram piece and I looked at it with my lupe'has many little troilite
>inclusions including a 4 mm inclusion that just runs down like a small
>river.Sorry no pics of it.My camera does not allow for real close
>ups.Someday!Thanks again to all!

I'm sure your camera can do macro photos, just look for a setting that shows an icon of a flower.
You can also use a flatbed scanner if you have one. Here's a flatbed scanner image I just made of
some of my NWA 1584 pieces-- it is 19.3 grams worth from several different purchaces, all together
in a 2x2 inch box. The largest piece of troilite, on the left of the image, is right at 9 mm at the
widest (not counting the "halo" around it).

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/nwa_1584_small.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/nwa_1584.jpg