AW: [meteorite-list] AD - Mostly New Material Auctions Ending Today

From: dellenit <dellenit_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 20 17:31:44 2005

Hi Greg and list,

just some clarification, the term pseudotachylite is only valid for earth
friction melt rocks !
R.Grieve:
Origin is from tachylite (a volcanic rock). To distinguish a metamorphic
earth rock the name pseudo-tachylite was introduced. There are two known
sources: metamorph pseudotachylites which are build during fast movement of
earth crust ! and second impact pseudotachlyites in the basement of an
impact crater.
R.Grieve: Impact-Pseudotachylite = pseudotachylite produced by impact
metamorphism; dikelike breccia fromed by frictional melting in the BASEMENT
OF IMPACT CRATERS....

it is NOT introduced as a term for meteorites !!!

further you write that "This is the only meteorite we have heard of that
classified as an "H" with no subtype making this an impossibly rare
offering."

This is not correct as if you look up the Meteoritical bulletin database you
will find a lot even L ones like Tanezrouft 067, NWA 1652, NWA 1573,
MacAlpine Hills 02750, MacAlpine Hills 02675, DAG 241, DAG 242, Great Sand
Sea 020, Hinojo, Ishinga, Loop (b), Malampaka, Quija, and so on..
Even Brunflo is only a H chondrite as it is too weathered for an subtype
classification.
Of course there may be always different reasons but there is NO subtype
classification with them.

don't take it personal..

take care
Harold