[meteorite-list] THE ODDS OF LIFE

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 20 13:09:48 2005

Sterling W. wrote:

>The key has to be that the creation of life was NOT a random
>process. For every molecule that fits a template, millions did not.
>That's a selective mechanism, not a random one. If you allow a strong
>selective effect at every step instead of random chance, it's done in
>short order, IF there is a preferred pathway.

Hola Sterling, The answer you seek has been mostly written...If you have the
time, I highly recommend picking up a copy of this book and meandering
through its delightful respect for the accomplishments of biology, but at the same
time, its brazen and bold disregard for the groupthink in the field. The
implications are more limited by your imagination than the pages upon which it
is written!
"The Origins of Order: Self-Organization and Selection in Evolution"
by Stuart Kauffman

What is "primitive" life other than a continuous process, soap bubble-like
filled micelle of catalysts with linked reactant intermediates? And is it any
wonder at all that such bags of plasm form, considering they are the
structures, by definition [of life], with the property of non-equilibrium
homeostasis, after countless other reactions, well - react, i.e.,"die".

We've glorified primitive life to religious proportions, yet I think it is
much an overrated miracle. While you wait for that landmark discovery that
life evolved or can be made to evolve more than once (whether it comes from out
of this world of from our own Earth right under our noses), an accepting
humanity will take it in stride, go to work tomorrow, still elect lousy
politicians, and folks like us will need to find new topics to stay happily
entertained just over the edge of chaos.

What surprises me is your take on the significance of a confirmation of a
so-far hypothetical confirmation of panspermia. While you seem fine with the
possibility of seeding life throughout the universe, you think it doesn't do
much except transfer the "problem" of creation elsewhere. While this may be
true, I believe the sheepdogs have tricked you into drinking from their
tainted watering hole.

Did you know that your own red blood cells lack DNA and are anaerobic
(utilizing glucose and no oxygen in solution, not aerobic (Krebs cycle) respiration
to generate energy)? Your red cells are alive, right? Really, finding
(viruses), bacteria, yeasts, perhaps fungi and other primitive bags of reactants
developing elsewhere with at least RNA won't solve THE QUESTION to forgetful
and greedy human satisfaction, as THE QUESTION has become somewhat of a
moving target. It used to be: What started life on Earth?

Think about human nature - so accepting (as long as not under threat by
killer alien microbes) I say we best learn to solve the simple harmonic
oscillator problem before asking questions of the Gods around the Universe and stick
to this original question. Not that a foray into a generalized THE QUESTION
isn't entertaining and informative - it is. But if we take the attitude of
minimizing the significance of the problems and true progress which is within
our grasp and possibly during our lifetime, we'll just remain an unsatisfied
bunch. Ah, the destiny of human spirit:(

Getting back to proving the Andromeda Strain that spontaneously appeared in
another galaxy ... sure it'll cause a bigger impact than Surveyor 3's bacteria
 which could have survived on the Moon for a few years. But how much
bigger? Don't hold your breath. A bag of cytoplasm proven to have been hatched in
a far off galaxy will not impress the average person on the street any more
than one bug delivered ambiguously on a meteorite. Afterall we've known you
can deep freeze yeast and nematodes for years, and they come back to life...

THE QUESTION will just move to become, ok, we have proof of concept once,
twice, whatever. Now where's the extraterrestrial beef? Those bags of wierd
enzymes are one thing, but THE QUESTION will always has been, can they
organize, intercommunicate and form conscious beings with souls? And the
closedminded will say - only on Earth. The visionaries will say - In the name of
Copernicus, get over it! And some will be burned at the stake by the experts of
their day.

Saludos, Doug