Fw: [meteorite-list] Shirokovsky..Answer

From: Meteoryt.net <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 18 17:14:18 2005

Hi List.
Tooday Im your main spammer here :)
Jeff have some problems so I forvarding his email.

From: "Jeff Pringle" <jeffp_at_mail.stuartdean.com>
List -

Speaking from experience in backyard steel foundry work, the etched slices
clearly indicate to me that the shirokovski was made in a direct attempt to
defraud meteorite collectors - it does not appear to be a serendipitous
furnace lining pallasite look-alike.
Next time I fire up the blast furnace, I'll check into it and give you all a
report, as to whether my theory is correct or not.

Wustite and fayalite are common iron/steel slag components, as is CaO.

Off hand, the hard part would probably be keeping bubbles out of the melt
upon introduction of the silicates - it possibly required a vacuum furnace,
or at least careful timing (accidental?) of the introduction of the olivine
and solid metal into the melt.

Jeff