[meteorite-list] meteor-wrong (most likely)

From: Meteoryt.net <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 18 08:06:25 2005

Hello Adam

> The Park Forest splash forms were never sold because they were never tied
> the March 26th event even though they were found at two impact sites.
> Interestingly, other List members located some of the same forms weeks
> later. Colby Navoro, a very religious person whose house was penetrated
also
> witnessed the collection of these splash forms in her house. Their oxygen
> isotopes plot with the CI parent body not the L body. A paper is still

What spash forms, you mean impactites? Can u send any pictures ?

> Shirokovsky on the other hand is a man-made object once being fraudulently
> passed off as a meteorite. Do you remember the fake scientific paper that
> was being distributed with it at the Tucson show where this stuff was
first
> unleashed on an unsuspecting audience? The etch clearly shows that
somebody
> ground up metallic material (possibly a nickel-bearing engine block),
dumped
> in olivine crystals, mixed up the two and then heated it to the eutectic
> stage. This would explain how the olivine and metal mixture kept a
somewhat
> heterogeneous appearance.

This is all about personal preferences in collecting. I will never buy brick
fragment only becouse it comes from Nininger, Barringer, Haag, Altmann :-D
or Pilski house/lab etc. But many other people will do. But I have 2 big and
nice specimens only becouse how they looks like. The same why I some time
ago invest in 2kg Putorano and spend many hours cutting it to nice slices.

> Apparently a lot of collectors could care less about Shirokovsky being a
> fake that was created to generate a profit and enjoy the man made
material.
> I was expressing my belief that it could be created for about 10 cents a
> pound. To each his own but I would never knowingly support this kind of
> fraud.

Material is worth as much as buyers want to pay. On ebay average price is
1.5-2$/g so it looks like this is worth this money. Also becouse its only
one unique specimen. If someone make better, nicest pallasite-wrong and sell
it for 0.2$ then Shirokovsky will be have no chances :))

OK Everyone buying what he like. For some people Camel "kaka" is worth more
than gold :-D

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin_at_polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195