[meteorite-list] Speculation Rife About Source of Murchison's Big Bang

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jul 14 08:02:26 2005

G'day,

Well I've just come back from making the 300km round-trip to Murchison to
find out any info and have a look around. I spoke with some of the residents
and got the locations of where it was thought to have fallen on roofs. I had
a look around but unfortunately could find nothing.

The temperature was also only 8C in Murchison this afternoon and raining
very heavily. It there were any small pieces in gutters, etc it would now
have been washed away.

I can not say with absolute certainty that a meteorite fell nor can I say it
didn't. The description was that of a large whooshing sonic boom accompanied
by a flash of light followed by what was described as small gravel falling
on houses across the central part of the town. This would be about 1km by
1km at a very rough estimate. I'll see if anything shows up over the next
week or so.

On another note, I was also told that original Murchison pieces are still be
found occasionally. Apparently, a large piece was found 11 years ago still
with fresh fusion crust.

Cheers,

Jeff Kuyken
I.M.C.A. #3085