[meteorite-list] Fall Patterns

From: MeteorHntr_at_aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 13 21:17:44 2005

Dana said:

The meteorites fall from April to July. So I think is
is safe to say its an annual event. Now that is
consistent! I mean if you bleed out your ears every
year for 10 yrs during the months of April-July
wouldn't you think that is consistent? Shit call this
indian/hillbilly stupid, but I will say yes.

**************
Dana and List,

Back to "on topic" discussions...

I think I recall some comments about two certain meteorites of the same composition falling near the same area on the same day and month, but on different years and there was suspicion that they might have been from the same source. (Maybe it was some string of craters that was talked about.)

This of course would indicate a swarm of meteoriods that are hanging out in space pretty much still (slowly moving into the Earths anual orbit) waiting for Earth to come around and sweep them up. But of course if asteroid material is zooming around the universe, year after year, those different stones from the same "swarm" would not likely end up hitting Earth in any specific pattern, especially 10 years in a row.

I should request from some of the experts here on the list if there are any papers that have been written on the subject of the same source targeting the same bullseye on Earth?

Obviously, if chemically all 10 Indian meteorite falls are identical in composition, then that would have been a question that should have been explored when the first two matched up being identical, not just when #10 showed up.

Not to pretend to be a scientist or anything, but my humble guess would be that maybe there is another reason why all of a sudden meteorite falls are now being recovered.

I remember a long time ago I plotted all the meteorites found in Kansas. I was shocked to notice two glaring things pop out at me;

First, most of the meteorites found in Western Kansas were found within a few miles of the road that went from McPherson to Meteor Crater in Arizona and the others were found within a few miles of the road that went from McPerson to Denver Colorado. Hummm... how could that be?

Were there Aliens mad at those people and throwing rocks at them?

Maybe. Or maybe it was that Harvey Nininger and some of the people that worked with him were from McPherson and he end up living and traveling to Meteor Crater and Denver. Since Harvey loved to travel with his "hand samples' to leave out on diner counter tops when he stopped to eat to generate conversation, as well as his public speaking that occurred at strategic spots on his road trips, I would tend to think there is a logic explanation to that pattern I discovered.

The National Enquirer would probably rather run with the first theory on their front page as it would sell more grocery store tabloids than the more logical story.

The second thing that stuck out to me was that for a few years after the huge Norton County meteorite fall in 1948, there were many many new meteorites (I am thinking about 15 different ones) that were discovered in counties in the flight path of the Norton County to the southwest of the landing spot.

Again, what might have made all these new meteorites show up? While not being "fresh falls" they were recovered by newly educated people in the area, due to media coverage (not to mention Harvey's massive field work in the time it took for the main mass to be recovered. Also, the finder getting something like $40,000 (in 1948 dollars) for the rock, probably helped the gossip lines to burn hot in the area.

Here is another hypothosis: Was there a bright person somewhere in the area that all of a sudden, say maybe 10 years ago or so, actually started to follow up on reports of meteorite falls? Maybe they were paid to do this kind of work, or maybe they were just interested. And maybe that person actually went out and started chasing fireball reports, and wonder of all wonders, they started finding some?

I know such a theory would be quite embarrassing to both the Smithsonian and the Canadians, as they had miserable results with their "fireball image capturing networks" over the long time they spent trying.

Anyway, all this make too much of a boring story, and would not sell many newspapers, so I doubt the Indian press will care to follow up on this with an "investigative report."

Now maybe the theory that Aliens in UFOs are throwing stones would make and even better story...

Steve Arnold
Numero Uno