[meteorite-list] Steve Arnold #2, or is it #1???

From: MeteorHntr_at_aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 13 18:49:09 2005

Dana & List,

First off, I apologize to Dana Hawn, as I wrote "Dawn" (slurring DAna haWN into Dawn) in my last email. See how easy it is to get the facts wrong? I want to assure you that EVERY fact in the following email is exactly how it happened. Factually 101% corrrect.

I was asked what I specifically meant about Steve Arnold #2 (Chicago) "spoiling the carpet." And I guess that I need to explain what really happened for those of you who were not there (or were not sober enough to notice or even remember).

It was a couple of years ago when we had our party at LaFuente and Geoff and I, at #2's expense (well, #2 did agree to go along with it), did a little joking with #2 about him wanting some Honolulu Meteorite, then getting some, then buying the HonoluluMeteorite.com website, then selling the specimen he just bought for half of the price he just paid. It was kind of an inside joke for fellow list members in the crowd, and if you were not on the list back in #2's "Cat Mountain meteorite days" go check the archives.

We did a repeating bit where I would pretend that #2 was interrupting our program (I know that was a little unrealistic to think #2 would interrupt) by asking me if I could make an announcement on his behalf, which led to him making (what some would say were self serving requests, over and over again, I know, again, unrealistic) Anyway, you probably had to have been there to appreciate our attempt at humor. Some told me that they thought it was a funny, others just said "I don't get it." But #2 was a good sport and took it all in stride.

But what some of you that were there might not have noticed, was that one of the times I went back to #2 table to pretend to let him ask me to make an announcement for him, one time he quietly asked me if he could "go to the bathroom?" And under my breath, I said to him "Sure", but then I blurted out loud for everyone else whatever the next line was at that time.

Well, I noticed that #2 didn't get up, just being polite and waiting for the Harvey Awards to get over I figured.

Then I went back to his table again to pretend he was asking me to make another announcement on his behalf, and I stepped in a puddle that had formed under his table.

I tried not to let it distract me (as they say "The Show Must Go On") so I did my best to keep from slipping on the floor, and I kept with the program.

Well, some of you thought that the reason why we moved from LaFuente this last year to our new venue was because they didn't have enough room for us. Well, the REAL reason was because the management was so disgusted with us, and the Heath Department violation that we exposed them to, that frankly, we were expressly NOT invited back.

So as Paul Harvey says "Now you know the rest of the story."

I really feel bad about having to put this explanation out. But I did leak the story in my last post (well, #2 actually did the leaking) but I did leak about the leak.

Anyway, I feel like Carl Rove now. Oh well, I hope you all can at least understand how generous (not to mention nice I am - this all started with me trying to prove that I am really am nice, remember?) in that we allowed #2 to come to our party again last year after the LaFuente fiasco. I swore after #2 did the "can I go to the bathroom" stunt a second year in a row, that he was going to be invited back again. Honestly, I think it was just #2's attempt to be labeled "#1" once and for all.

So since America gave Bill and Hillary 2 chances, and it looks like we are going to give them a third chance is 2008, the least I can do is give #2 a third chance as well.

Oh, Dana, the invitation to sit next to #2 is still open. In fact, I am sure there will be very few feet under his table this year (not everyone is as forgiving as I am). So you probably don't have to RSVP for your spot next to him.

Alright, I better quit now before I embarrass #2 or something. We all know how shy he is, and tries to avoid any excess attention.

Sincerely,

Steve Arnold
Arkansas
(see, "Arkansas, just doesn't have the zip that "#1" has)

P.S. OK, maybe this post is only 99% factually correct.