[meteorite-list] Has Another Meteorite Landed in Murchison, Australia Again?

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jul 13 02:51:11 2005

http://news.mcmedia.com.au/story.asp?TakeNo=200507135350467

Has a space rock hit Murchison again?
Shepparton News (Australia)
July 13, 2005

Has the space equivalent of lightning struck twice in Murchison?

A meteorite famously hit the town in September 1969 and Murchison
antique store owner Betty Maslin is hearing strange but similar
accounts from residents about a loud bang at 9.15 pm on Saturday.

"Wouldn't it be a thrill if another one has hit, wouldn't that
put us back on the map," an excited Mrs Maslin said.

"Several people have described a loud bang and then hearing a
sound similar to gravel falling on their roof.

"I think it is highly unlikely, but you never know, we might have
been hit again."

The original Murchison meteorite fell to earth on September 19,
1969, and is still the only observed meteorite landing in Victoria.

The largest piece of the carbonaceous chondrite weighed 7 kg and
contained numerous amino acids and a variety of other organic
compounds that are thought to have played a role in the origin of
life.

If you heard or saw anything, phone The News on 5820 3221.