[meteorite-list] Next vacation: Rajasthan.

From: MeteorHntr_at_aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jul 10 16:51:02 2005

How many errors can we find in this story? 10? 15? 20?

Let's count them:

*************
Clue to life in Thar meteorite rain
Sandipan Sharma

jaipur, july 9 Geologists in Rajasthan are baffled by large meteorites falling on western Rajasthan
at regular intervals over the past few years.
******

Error #1 "large meteorites" what is their definition of large?
Error #2 "regular intervals"

******
Scientists struggling to identify the cause of this celestial shower,
*********

Error #3 not knowing the cause?
Error #4 a 10 year long "shower"

********
have found the presence of
amino acids and other life-supporting organic compounds in the meteorites, which has led to an
interesting hypothesis: Life could have originated outside earth.
*******

Error #5 "lead to an interesting hypothesis" as if no one else thought of this before.

********
Since 1995, at least 10 meteorites have fallen on various villages in western Rajasthan. The number
could be more as many such incidents go unreported.
?This is strange. Generally, chances of a meteorite falling in an area is once in 2000 years,? says
Prof B S Paliwal, head, Department of Geology, Jodhpur University.
*******

Error #6 "once in 2000 years" how big is Rajasthan? If it were only 3 miles by 3 miles, but isn't it about the size of Texas?

********
  Also, the meteorites usually fall
around the equator.
*******

Error#7 "usually fall around the equator" LOL, who is writing this stuff?

********
The regular fall in Thar is thus unexplained.
*********

Error #8 "regular fall"
Error #9 "Unexplained" OK, maybe no one the reporter talked with is smart enough to explain it to him.

*********
The first such fall was reported in 1994.
*********

Error #10 The 1984 BMNH Catalogue shows 12 falls from Rajasthan.

*********
The meteorites usually fall between April-July. ?Perhaps
this is the time when these bodies come into earth?s sphere of attraction
********

Error #11 meteorites are not "attracted" they either run into Earth or Earth runs into them (or both)

*********
and fall on this region
because of its position at that time.
*********

Error #12 While maybe that is someone's "theory" but it is still in error.

**********
This is a theory that needs to be analysed,?
**********

Error #13 Really, it does NOT need to be analyzed.

**********
says Dr M S
Sisodia, a geologist at Jodhpur University, who has been studying the phenomenon.
***********

Error #14 Trust me, he hasn't been "studying the phenomenon" all that much.

***********
?It may sound funny
***********

TRUE FACT #1: Yes, this article does sound funny!

***********
but there are possibilities that life may have originated on some other planet
like Mars,?

Error #15 The theory (as pointed out by MexicoDoug) points out that the theory is not all that funny.

 says Dr Sisodia, who presented a paper on the subject at NASA.

Would someone find the paper that the esteemed Dr. Sisodia presented at NASA? I would like to know what all it said.

I would also like to know how much NASA grant money this researcher made on this project?

Steve Arnold