[meteorite-list] Comet Show Leaves NASA Speechless

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jul 5 23:20:54 2005

Hi,

    The first thing, of course, one feels is such happiness for the complete
success of the mission and anticipation for results as they unfold.

    The second thought, a day later, is the beauty of the SYNERGY that becomes
possible as the human capacity for investigation slowly grows. Looking at all
the posts (Thanks, Ron!) about the co-observations of the event, in a range of
spectral modes, from the mission craft to the impactor craft, from telescopes
on the surface of our planet to ones off our planet, you can see the dim notion
of a Space System or Network emerging.

    Of course, the "piggy-backed" mission, like Casinni-Huygens and to a degree
the two-parted Deep Impact itself is a step forward. Wouldn't it wonderful if
there were enough Mars missions going all at once for coordinated observations
accomplishing what no single mission could and if they were conceived from the
outset to do so? To a limited degree, that too is emerging.

    The coordination we see now is largely fortuitous. Think what we could do
if it were intentional, planned, coordinated in concept, as well. The Deep
Space Network. The Mars Network. A lot of others come to mind.

    A mother ship to the Asteroid Zone, carrying not one but a good number of
expendable 500 kg fly-by or even orbiting imagers targeted on Ceres, Juno,
Vesta. and more big or unique bodies, the mother ship releasing them each at
the best time and place for the probe's easiest rendezvous with target, course
correction, course correction, another release, with the images relayed to
mother ship to us. You might lose one, but there are so many. The mother ship
remains in the Zone with its big long-range imager, sending back, followed much
later by a second mother ship with more (and newly targeted) probes, that ends
up working in coordination with the first mother ship, each with differing
secondary instrumentation, acting as The Asteroidal Observatory.

    A planetary network mission to Jupiter, launched in timed stages, a mother
ship with an Io orbiter/lander and a Ganymede orbiter/lander, another mother
ship with an Europa orbiter/lander/drill platform with sample return to a third
mother ship. The first two mother ships with identical main optical
instrumentation, but different secondary instrumentation, and the ability of
the two to work together on the Jupiter system and the planet itself and with
the ability to "safe sleep" if a step fails or is delayed or to extend the life
of the mission, the third mother ship with more fuel and less payload capacity
but the ability to return the Europa samples (from the sea under the ice). If
(or finally when) a mother ship fails, it is replaced with another, carrying
the Calisto orbiter/lander and a second lander for whichever satellite seems to
deserve it most (or to replace a failed lander). Flexible complexity.

    A series of Venus orbiters with differing but coordinatible
instrumentation, each carrying a differing concept of a durable lander (nobody
knows what will survive), launched in sequences slow enough that the knowledge
gained from a lander's success or failure can be incorporated into an upcoming
lander (not the next one, the one after that), each orbiter working with the
other orbiters in coordination, each adding additional capabilities. Not doing
more with less but doing MUCH more with SOME more and flexible complexity.
Turning a long sequential mission into a permanent mission.

    Yes, I know, there's the future for that... Is anybody even thinking about
how to make a durable lander for Venus since the last try burned up decades
ago? Is anybosy even studying missions like the ones above?

    Not complaining, just wishing. I know the obstacles. But I'm tired of We Go
Back To _____ stories. I want to see We're Here To Stay At ______ stories!

Sterling K. Webb