[meteorite-list] Deep Impact from Earth

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 4 15:45:33 2005

Darren G. wrote:
>Any word yet on wherther Earth based "mere mortal" back-yard
>telescope observers were able to make out any sign of the impact?

Hola Darren,

Luck was pretty bad for most in the Americas due to cloudcover and being low
onthe horizon. Down here in Northeast Mexico it was an obligatory futility
that none-the-less was great fun to participate in, with a 15 degree above
the horizon impact (I had my 16X binoculars:-)). It looks like a backyard
astronomer needed a 10-12" Dobsonian or so for a decent chance in the Southern
portion Pacific US time zone. Reports that the comet it was so diffuse at
around 11 magnitude, that it couldn't be seen even when 12th magnitude stars
were discernable. But that right after the impact, it in fact "appeared" like
magic with averted vision, comments of a 1.5 or 2.0 magnitudes before and
after in the two hours.

The Hubble images showed that the tektites produced were racing out at 1800
km/hr, and there are hopes of something better tonight as it expanded, though
I haven't seen any reports posted from Asia, and it is a little discouraging
from what Rosetta said according to Sky and Telescope: That they saw the 2
magnitude increase, but then it was losing a two-thirds of the increase within
a five hours.

So not so great a forecast on one hand, but that I'm sure won't stop the
legions of us who hope to get lucky tonight...
Saludos, Doug