[meteorite-list] Meteorites - warm or hot to the touch?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jul 4 10:28:18 2005

Jeff-

Ablation is indeed an extremely efficient way to carry heat away from an
object. That's why ablative heat shields are the norm for craft designed to
return to the Earth's surface.

Aside from that, there is the simple fact that heat transfer takes time, and
there is precious little time available for a meteoroid to heat up. Take a
big rock and put it in a 8000? environment for three seconds, and you aren't
going to see much rise in the interior.

Oriented stones should be able to maintain supersonic or hypersonic speeds
(but sub-ablative) for longer, so potentially could absorb more heat. On the
other hand, they fall faster once they lose their cosmic velocity, meaning
that convective effects are more efficient at removing heat. Not a simple
thing to analyze!

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory